When conventional machining methods like milling and turning are incapable of producing the precision cut parts you need, it’s time to look for a different solution.
Wire electrical discharge machining (EDM) shapes intricate parts with an exceptional degree of precision unmatched by CNC machining.
Many shops these days are still outsourcing wire EDM services. But at United Centerless Grinding and Thread Rolling, we provide all wire EDM services in house at our East Hartford facility.
We’re the one-stop shop for all your wire EDM needs.
What Is Wire EDM?
Wire EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) is an electrothermal process for cutting metals that are capable of conducting electricity. Conductive metals include alloys, superalloys, steel, aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, carbon graphite, carbon steel, stainless steel, Inconel, and titanium.
During the wire EDM process, a thin metal wire generates heat to cut a line through a piece of metal. The wire creates an intense electrical spark that erodes the metal with exacting precision and without applying physical pressure.
Wire EDM is ideal for intricate parts with exceptionally tight tolerances, such as highly regulated medical or aerospace components.
7 Reasons to Use Wire EDM
Here’s why it might be better to get your parts made using wire EDM instead of conventional machining:
- Unique shapes. Because the wire on an EDM machine is so small and thin, it can cut unique, complex shapes with a degree of precision that other cutting methods simply cannot achieve.
- Material hardness. Hard materials like Inconel, titanium, and heavy nickel cause CNC machining tools to wear down quickly. Since wire EDM runs on electricity, it can cut through the toughest materials with ease. It can even cut carbide, the hard metal that most CNC machining tools themselves are made from.
- Consistency. Wire EDM is capable of running multiple parts at a time, even while the machines are unmanned, resulting in a high degree of repeatability and consistency. We run our wire EDM all night with confidence that we’re getting the same exact part each time.
- Tight tolerances. For parts requiring exceptionally tight tolerances, wire EDM is an excellent solution. We can hold intricate tolerances within ± 0.0002”.
- Square corners. Wire EDM operates with a wire size as small as .004”, cutting extremely tight corner radii that can’t be achieved with an end mill. Meeting exact corner specifications is particularly important for mold making because even miniscule gaps can result in plastic leaking out when injected.
- Large parts. Some traditional CNC machines don’t have the capability to hold tight tolerances on large parts. But wire EDM can accommodate big parts while maintaining tight tolerances.
- Mating parts. Since wire EDM guarantees such a high degree of precision, it’s an ideal solution for mating parts that require exact specs for proper fit and function.
Interested in wire EDM services for your next part? Contact United Centerless Grinding & Thread Rolling today for a free estimate!